Skip to main content

How to not dread running.

It’s warming up and the sun has been shining (kind of). You could almost say it was running season.  I have to admit however, at the when it first started warming up this year I was dreading starting to run.  Memories of last year's misery haunted me and I was seriously contemplating giving the whole thing up.  Ultimately I did give running one another shot.

So how are things going this year?

Pretty darn well actually. Better than ever even! This year I’ve earned PRs for every distance Strava keeps track of, I haven’t suffered any injuries and I’m genuinely enjoying myself. This is much better than last year. Last year I had a short and fairly miserable season, plagued with injuries.

Last year I had a few goals tied up with running. I wanted to run longer and faster than I ever had. I had really detailed goals for each week of the summer, how far I should be running and at what pace. I tried to make sure I never broke the “10% rule” adding too much distance each week, but this still totally backfired. I ended up with pain in my knees, which I absolutely did not want to mess with. Once that was cleared up I had persistent shin splints that I finally couldn’t tolerate any longer.

The nearly embarrassing amount of gear I feel like I need to run...So what am I doing differently this year?

This year I have no goals around running. Well, almost no goals. The only goal I really have is that I get out and do it and enjoy myself without getting injured.

I think last year I was worried I wouldn’t get out and run, unless I had very well defined goals I was aiming to reach each and every week. Turns out I really enjoy running and don’t need much extra motivation to get out and do it. I just feel great afterwards. I had a lot of monotonous runs last year. Same route, same distance, over, and over, again. This year I’m changing things up and keeping things interesting. Different routes, short, long (long for me right now is 10k), easy runs, fast runs, easy runs that turn into fast runs. I’m even starting to throw in some track workouts.

I’m also not pushing myself nearly as hard. I’m not really focused on building my base too much.  I looked at what was a normal distance for me last year (20 km per week) and am just sticking around there for now. I also, added back in some weight training to my routine. I’ve found that if my legs are strong I just feel like I’m a lot more comfortable running long distances and am less likely to get injured. There is a flip side of this however. Push too hard with squats and deadlifts and your legs are too tired to run well. Worse yet overworking your legs could make you more injury prone. Again I am finding what is comfortable and sticking with that for a while only pushing myself when what I’m doing feels way too easy. No more adding 5 lbs to my squat weight every time I walk in the gym...

If you feel like you’re in a rut or want to give up your running routine these are my suggestions at the moment.

  • Relax. Let go of any unnecessary overly specific goals. Just get out there and have fun
  • Change things up. Don’t get stuck doing the same thing every single time you lace up your running shoes.
  • It’s ok to stop building your base. If by the end of the week you can’t imagine adding another 10% in distance the following week, don’t. Stick with what you know you can do or even back off a bit. There’ll be time to continue building your base later.
  • Do what feels right for that day: If you “need” to run a 10k today because it’s what you planned, it’s ok to do shorter. Vice versa if you only plan on doing a 5k but feel like you have a lot more in you, go for it.
  • Add strength: Throw some weight training into your routine but don’t push it too much.

If you’re a runner how are things going for you this year? Trying anything different than last year?



P.S. Ironically enough, shortly after writing this post, one of my knees has started to give me trouble.  It appears to be a classic case of runner's knee.  I actually think this has a lot to do with the fact that I cut back on weight training over the last month.  Most of these injuries as caused by being too weak or too inflexible.  It's all a learning experience I suppose.  

I was, however, able to recover enough in time to run the Cherry Festival 10k.  And, I think my overall attitude towards running this year has made recovery a lot easier to deal with.  Still not 100% and I'm starting to really miss the meditative feeling of running but not having extra unnecessary goals nagging me into starting too early is nice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ubuntu games?

    One of the things I have been doing very little of for the last several years is PC gaming.  This is probably mostly due to a complete lack of a Windows machine in my life.  Plus with all of the great games available for Android my needs as a casual gamer are more than met.     However, this years humble bundled has reignited my interest in PC gaming.  I got it and installed a couple of the games on my Ubuntu machine.  So far they are a lot of fun especially VVVVVV .  This got me asking "what else can I play on Ubuntu?"  Turns out there is a plethora of free open source games, some awesome, some not so much.  Many are available from the   Ubuntu Software Center and many you have to hunt down around the web.     One thing that keeps many Windows users from Ubuntu (or any Linux OS for that matter) is a supposed lack of games.  This is simply not the case.  While yes many of the commercial PC games are only available for Windows or at best OS X, there are many free

Writing Goals

  Recently I came to the conclusion that I should write more often.  That is, I believe, I should start to consider myself a "writer."  That's the main reason there's been a bit of an increase in publishing to this blog (going from zero over the past few years to a couple times a month is a pretty huge jump).     I, like most humans, have thoughts and opinions which are a product of the times and places in which I live.  I figure I can do my part for future historians and write a few of them down.  I also just might have enough creative juice to pump out a story or two. This blog   I'd like to post to this blog at least once a week from now on, or at a minimum once a month.  Really, anything at all would be better than what I've been doing.  I'll mainly write about my life, family, interests, and opinions about, current events and local and state politics (I'll try to steer clear of national issues for my own sanity).  Pretty much whatever I fee

Lunch time in The Dirty!

    The Dalles has quite a few restaurants relative to it's size.  Some are great some are down right bad.       These are my five favorite places to eat lunch in The Dalles in no particular order.  Some are old favorites and others are relatively new establishments.  All serve delicious food and drink. Montira's Thai     Montira's is the only thai place in town.  But that lack of competition doesn't keep them from delivering a quality product.  Other restaurants of the Asian  variety  have them beat as far as portion size and price go but they  serve  a quality product consistently.  I can't say that about many other places in town.     Montira's serves really great food for a decent price.  Just be warned if you ask for extra-spicy you will feel it all the next day...  But its worth it if you really like spicy. Spooky's     Spooky's is one of those places that this town wouldn't be the same without.  Its almost the default place to meet peo