Skip to main content

Three Books for Novice Investors

    I have only been seriously investing for about sixth months now.  I say "seriously" because I have attempted to invest for about 5 years but it looked a lot like this...  So my only successes have been in investing in index funds.  Which If you don't have the time or energy to pick your own investments is the best way to go, in my opinion.  

    Almost all of my "education" has come through reading a handful of books.



The Richest Man In Babylon

    The Richest Man in Babylon comes all the way from the deep dark past of 1920's America.  It is series of stories and parables set in ancient Babylon and designed to teach financial wisdom.  The book stresses discipline and prudence, consistently saving, avoiding debt, not investing in risky ventures etc.  I have to wonder if people in the 1920's had taken his advice if the whole financial mess that followed wouldn't have happened or at least have been diminished.   If you don't feel like buying the book, a free pdf can be found herewhich would be the more financially prudent route. ;)

The Intelligent Investor

    The Intelligent Investor is widely considered "the Bible of value investing" and its author Benjamin Graham, the father of that school of investing.  The Intelligent Investor covers bonds and stocks and discusses two different investing styles, the more cautious investor and the enterprising investor.  The book gives solid guidelines for both types of investors.

    The Intelligent Investor also includes one of my favourite illustrations of the stock market, "Mr. Market."  Mr. Market is your wild, over emotional business partner who offers you equity everyday depending on how he feels that day rather than the actual value of the company.  He is vastly unpredictable but rarely accurate.  The idea that markets are inaccurate flies in the face of academics who claim that markets are efficient (But now I'm just going on a tangent).


One Up On Wall Street

    One Up on Wall Street is probably my favourite of the bunch.  Peter Lynch focuses on the concept that everybody has a "edge" in stock picking.  That just by being a customer, working in a particular industry or going to the shopping mall  you can find potentially profitable investments.  

    Lynch also spends a good number of pages describing the various types of investments that can be made in stock selection, 'Stalwarts' vs. 'fast growers', as well as "asset plays".  Lynch pays particular attention to fast growers where the elusive "ten baggers" can be found, these are stocks which eventually are worth ten times the amount you paid for them.

    One Up on Wall Street is the most modern of these three books and probably reflects more accurately the investing world we live in today.  Plus Lynch writes in a very easy to read and entertaining read.  If you had to pick only one of these to read I would most highly suggest One Up on Wall Street.  You can pick it up at the Play Store or a hard copy using the usual resources.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Goals

  Recently I came to the conclusion that I should write more often.  That is, I believe, I should start to consider myself a "writer."  That's the main reason there's been a bit of an increase in publishing to this blog (going from zero over the past few years to a couple times a month is a pretty huge jump).     I, like most humans, have thoughts and opinions which are a product of the times and places in which I live.  I figure I can do my part for future historians and write a few of them down.  I also just might have enough creative juice to pump out a story or two. This blog   I'd like to post to this blog at least once a week from now on, or at a minimum once a month.  Really, anything at all would be better than what I've been doing.  I'll mainly write about my life, family, interests, and opinions about, current events and local and state politics (I'll try to steer clear of national issues for my own sanity).  Pretty much whatever I fee

Best Bible application on Android?

    The easy winner is in my book is The Bible App  from YouVersion and LifeChurch.tv .  It is by far the most popular Bible application on android and was one of the 100 most downloaded apps for both iPhone and iPad.     The Bible App has just about every Bible translation you can think of from the KJV to the Message.  Many of which are downloadable for offline use for free in case you are ever off network and still want the convenience of reading on your phone.  It also has several languages with multiple translations for most languages.     One of my favorite things about YouVersion is that they have literally hundreds of  reading plans for those of us who need a little help figuring out what to read.  There are whole Bible reading plans for reading the entire bible in some amount of time, typically a year.  My personal favorite is the  M'Cheyne one year reading plan.  The also have topical reading plans about a wide variety of topics and partial Bible reading plans, fo

Ubuntu games?

    One of the things I have been doing very little of for the last several years is PC gaming.  This is probably mostly due to a complete lack of a Windows machine in my life.  Plus with all of the great games available for Android my needs as a casual gamer are more than met.     However, this years humble bundled has reignited my interest in PC gaming.  I got it and installed a couple of the games on my Ubuntu machine.  So far they are a lot of fun especially VVVVVV .  This got me asking "what else can I play on Ubuntu?"  Turns out there is a plethora of free open source games, some awesome, some not so much.  Many are available from the   Ubuntu Software Center and many you have to hunt down around the web.     One thing that keeps many Windows users from Ubuntu (or any Linux OS for that matter) is a supposed lack of games.  This is simply not the case.  While yes many of the commercial PC games are only available for Windows or at best OS X, there are many free