Skip to main content

Writing Goals

  Recently I came to the conclusion that I should write more often.  That is, I believe, I should start to consider myself a "writer."  That's the main reason there's been a bit of an increase in publishing to this blog (going from zero over the past few years to a couple times a month is a pretty huge jump).  

  I, like most humans, have thoughts and opinions which are a product of the times and places in which I live.  I figure I can do my part for future historians and write a few of them down.  I also just might have enough creative juice to pump out a story or two.

This blog

  I'd like to post to this blog at least once a week from now on, or at a minimum once a month.  Really, anything at all would be better than what I've been doing.  I'll mainly write about my life, family, interests, and opinions about, current events and local and state politics (I'll try to steer clear of national issues for my own sanity).  Pretty much whatever I feel like, but definitely not work.

Short stories

  I'm going to try my hand at some fiction.  Which sounds pretty intimidating.  However, creative writing was one thing I actually remember finding surprising joy in when I was forced to do it in school.  There are many of reasons why it's important to have a creative outlet.  I might as well try my hand at this one.


  I like the idea of writing short stories.  I don't think I have the capacity to write a novel or anything like that at this point.  My stories will likely be crap but everyone needs a creative outlet.  Heck, maybe after careful editing and re-write I might muster up enough courage to submit one of my crappy short stories to a literary magazine.  Or, when that fails, post it here.


Reading

  Like Stephen King says "If you don't have time to read you don't have time to write".  I'll be reviving my goal of reading the greatest novels of the 20th century.  I've compiled my novel reading list here.  I also want to read more biographies and other interesting well written non-fiction.  I might even write a bit about what I've been reading here as I have a couple of times in the deep dark past.

  Currently, from my list of novels, I'm reading through A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce.  I'm enjoying Joyce a lot more than I was anticipating.  But I don't think I'm quite ready to talk Ulysses yet. What should I read next?

Comments

  1. If you're going for classics, my favorite book is Moby Dick. For something more modern, I really Enjoyed Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I always think Austen is a great read. If you haven't read Pride and Prejudice, that's a great place to start, although Persuasion is her best book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like classics. I haven't yet given Moby Dick a go yet, though I've primarily only heard good things. Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorites burt it's the only Jane Austen book I've read, however . I'll have to pick up Persuasion. The synopsis for Americanah sounds really interesting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Playing Mari0 on Ubuntu 12.04

If you are looking to play Mari0 on Ubuntu you may have run into a bit of a roadblock because love 0.8.0 is not yet available for Precise from the love-unstable ppa.  No need to worry though the .deb file for Oneiric will work just fine.   First download the .deb from launchpad, either amd64 or i386 .  Then install dependencies by running. $ sudo apt-get install libdevil1c2 libmng1 libfreetype6 libgl1-mesa-glx liblua5.1-0 libphysfs-1.0-0 libsdl1.2debian libopenal1 libogg0 libvorbis0a libvorbisfile3 libflac8 libflac++6 libmpg123-0 libc6 libgcc1 libphysfs1 libstdc++6 Then install the love-unstable with dpkg ~/Downloads$ dpkg -i love-unstable_0.8.0~r1028-0oneiric1_<amd64/i386>.deb Run  love-unstable on mari0  ~/mari0$ love-unstable mari0_1.3.love Enjoy what is possibly the coolest crossover game of all time.

Ubuntu games?

    One of the things I have been doing very little of for the last several years is PC gaming.  This is probably mostly due to a complete lack of a Windows machine in my life.  Plus with all of the great games available for Android my needs as a casual gamer are more than met.     However, this years humble bundled has reignited my interest in PC gaming.  I got it and installed a couple of the games on my Ubuntu machine.  So far they are a lot of fun especially VVVVVV .  This got me asking "what else can I play on Ubuntu?"  Turns out there is a plethora of free open source games, some awesome, some not so much.  Many are available from the   Ubuntu Software Center and many you have to hunt down around the web.     One thing that keeps many Windows users from Ubuntu (or any Linux OS for that matter) is a supposed lack of games.  This is simply not the case.  While yes many of the commercial PC games are only available for Windows or at best OS X, there are many free