Skip to main content

Writing Goals

  Recently I came to the conclusion that I should write more often.  That is, I believe, I should start to consider myself a "writer."  That's the main reason there's been a bit of an increase in publishing to this blog (going from zero over the past few years to a couple times a month is a pretty huge jump).  

  I, like most humans, have thoughts and opinions which are a product of the times and places in which I live.  I figure I can do my part for future historians and write a few of them down.  I also just might have enough creative juice to pump out a story or two.

This blog

  I'd like to post to this blog at least once a week from now on, or at a minimum once a month.  Really, anything at all would be better than what I've been doing.  I'll mainly write about my life, family, interests, and opinions about, current events and local and state politics (I'll try to steer clear of national issues for my own sanity).  Pretty much whatever I feel like, but definitely not work.

Short stories

  I'm going to try my hand at some fiction.  Which sounds pretty intimidating.  However, creative writing was one thing I actually remember finding surprising joy in when I was forced to do it in school.  There are many of reasons why it's important to have a creative outlet.  I might as well try my hand at this one.


  I like the idea of writing short stories.  I don't think I have the capacity to write a novel or anything like that at this point.  My stories will likely be crap but everyone needs a creative outlet.  Heck, maybe after careful editing and re-write I might muster up enough courage to submit one of my crappy short stories to a literary magazine.  Or, when that fails, post it here.


Reading

  Like Stephen King says "If you don't have time to read you don't have time to write".  I'll be reviving my goal of reading the greatest novels of the 20th century.  I've compiled my novel reading list here.  I also want to read more biographies and other interesting well written non-fiction.  I might even write a bit about what I've been reading here as I have a couple of times in the deep dark past.

  Currently, from my list of novels, I'm reading through A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce.  I'm enjoying Joyce a lot more than I was anticipating.  But I don't think I'm quite ready to talk Ulysses yet. What should I read next?

Comments

  1. If you're going for classics, my favorite book is Moby Dick. For something more modern, I really Enjoyed Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. I always think Austen is a great read. If you haven't read Pride and Prejudice, that's a great place to start, although Persuasion is her best book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like classics. I haven't yet given Moby Dick a go yet, though I've primarily only heard good things. Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorites burt it's the only Jane Austen book I've read, however . I'll have to pick up Persuasion. The synopsis for Americanah sounds really interesting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lunch time in The Dirty!

    The Dalles has quite a few restaurants relative to it's size.  Some are great some are down right bad.       These are my five favorite places to eat lunch in The Dalles in no particular order.  Some are old favorites and others are relatively new establishments.  All serve delicious food and drink. Montira's Thai     Montira's is the only thai place in town.  But that lack of competition doesn't keep them from delivering a quality product.  Other restaurants of the Asian  variety  have them beat as far as portion size and price go but they  serve  a quality product consistently.  I can't say that about many other places in town.     Montira's serves really great food for a decent price.  Just be warned if you ask for extra-spicy you will feel it all the next day...  But its worth it if you really like spicy. Spooky's     Spooky's is one of t...

Ubuntu Games: Bitsnake

    Who doesn't love a classic game of snake?  No one?  That is what I thought!     Bitsnake is just that a classic snake game written in Python.  A snake game written in a language named after a snake you say!  Well actually it's named after the British comedy troupe, but still...     You know snake right.  They game where your goal is to eat "apples" and try not to run into the wall or yourself.  Simple, classic big fat time killer. Get it!     You can download the game here .  Just unrar and play.  Here is a quick how to for you terminal junkies... First make sure that you have the correct dependencies. $ sudo apt-get install python-pygame Download the rar file. $ wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/bitsnake/files/bitSnake_source.rar Extract that rar. $ unrar x bitSnake_source.rar Play the game!  $ cd bitSnake/ && python bitSnake.py