Skip to main content

I think its time to start seeing other distributions...

     I have used Ubuntu for nearly 5 years now and it has been my primary desktop OS sense then.  Ubuntu was my first taste of GNU/Linux so I suppose it will always be my first love in the world of open source operating systems.  

     I have never used another GNU/Linux based operating system as a desktop for a long enough period of time to really get a good feel for it.  I have used Debian a few times for servers and have used Fedora enough to be familiar with it.  I got a Gentoo desktop up and running ; I was feeling particularly masochistic one month.
  
    I have no major complaints with Ubuntu.  I mean it has been several releases now and I am still not totally used to the Unity desktop environment.  However, that is only an occasional annoyance and its not like you are stuck with Unity if you use Ubuntu.  But now, I do feel it is time to explore other options for a primary desktop OS.  

     The plan is to give several different distros a try for a month or so, using the distribution as my primary operating system on my old Dell laptop. My usage mainly consists of browsing the internet, occasionally gaming and fiddling with Python and other programing languages when I feel like it, so nothing to intense.

    I have started by installing Arch Linux which I will write about in a later post. I'm planning on giving Debian a try next which I assume will feel very similar to Ubuntu. Any suggestions for other distros to try? 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Goals

  Recently I came to the conclusion that I should write more often.  That is, I believe, I should start to consider myself a "writer."  That's the main reason there's been a bit of an increase in publishing to this blog (going from zero over the past few years to a couple times a month is a pretty huge jump).     I, like most humans, have thoughts and opinions which are a product of the times and places in which I live.  I figure I can do my part for future historians and write a few of them down.  I also just might have enough creative juice to pump out a story or two. This blog   I'd like to post to this blog at least once a week from now on, or at a minimum once a month.  Really, anything at all would be better than what I've been doing.  I'll mainly write about my life, family, interests, and opinions about, current events and local and state politics (I'll try to steer clear of national issues for my own sanity).  Pretty much whatever I fee

Lunch time in The Dirty!

    The Dalles has quite a few restaurants relative to it's size.  Some are great some are down right bad.       These are my five favorite places to eat lunch in The Dalles in no particular order.  Some are old favorites and others are relatively new establishments.  All serve delicious food and drink. Montira's Thai     Montira's is the only thai place in town.  But that lack of competition doesn't keep them from delivering a quality product.  Other restaurants of the Asian  variety  have them beat as far as portion size and price go but they  serve  a quality product consistently.  I can't say that about many other places in town.     Montira's serves really great food for a decent price.  Just be warned if you ask for extra-spicy you will feel it all the next day...  But its worth it if you really like spicy. Spooky's     Spooky's is one of those places that this town wouldn't be the same without.  Its almost the default place to meet peo

If you write a blog and never post it to Facebook will anybody read it?

My guess is no...  Let's test the hypothesis! Facebook and similar "social" feeds feel so bad to my soul.  I find them as a total waste of time and it's time to really really delete these things once and for all.  I've been hanging onto Instagram as I find it much less toxic.  Pictures often give off a more positive vibe than your aunts reshare of politically slanted news or your neighbor's cousin's wall of text complaining about how there is not Olive Garden within 100 miles of their house.  However, that doesn't change the fact that I am the product being sold on this Instagram.  Algorithms are being worked out to find just the right number of post to leave in between advertisements for me to feel most engaged and most likely to click.  Which news parody sites or webcomics I should like next are also constantly being updated and reconfigured based on my behaviour.  Facebook and its subsidiaries are not the only companies with this massive soul