Skip to main content

I think its time to start seeing other distributions...

     I have used Ubuntu for nearly 5 years now and it has been my primary desktop OS sense then.  Ubuntu was my first taste of GNU/Linux so I suppose it will always be my first love in the world of open source operating systems.  

     I have never used another GNU/Linux based operating system as a desktop for a long enough period of time to really get a good feel for it.  I have used Debian a few times for servers and have used Fedora enough to be familiar with it.  I got a Gentoo desktop up and running ; I was feeling particularly masochistic one month.
  
    I have no major complaints with Ubuntu.  I mean it has been several releases now and I am still not totally used to the Unity desktop environment.  However, that is only an occasional annoyance and its not like you are stuck with Unity if you use Ubuntu.  But now, I do feel it is time to explore other options for a primary desktop OS.  

     The plan is to give several different distros a try for a month or so, using the distribution as my primary operating system on my old Dell laptop. My usage mainly consists of browsing the internet, occasionally gaming and fiddling with Python and other programing languages when I feel like it, so nothing to intense.

    I have started by installing Arch Linux which I will write about in a later post. I'm planning on giving Debian a try next which I assume will feel very similar to Ubuntu. Any suggestions for other distros to try? 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lunch time in The Dirty!

    The Dalles has quite a few restaurants relative to it's size.  Some are great some are down right bad.       These are my five favorite places to eat lunch in The Dalles in no particular order.  Some are old favorites and others are relatively new establishments.  All serve delicious food and drink. Montira's Thai     Montira's is the only thai place in town.  But that lack of competition doesn't keep them from delivering a quality product.  Other restaurants of the Asian  variety  have them beat as far as portion size and price go but they  serve  a quality product consistently.  I can't say that about many other places in town.     Montira's serves really great food for a decent price.  Just be warned if you ask for extra-spicy you will feel it all the next day...  But its worth it if you really like spicy. Spooky's     Spooky's is one of t...

Playing Mari0 on Ubuntu 12.04

If you are looking to play Mari0 on Ubuntu you may have run into a bit of a roadblock because love 0.8.0 is not yet available for Precise from the love-unstable ppa.  No need to worry though the .deb file for Oneiric will work just fine.   First download the .deb from launchpad, either amd64 or i386 .  Then install dependencies by running. $ sudo apt-get install libdevil1c2 libmng1 libfreetype6 libgl1-mesa-glx liblua5.1-0 libphysfs-1.0-0 libsdl1.2debian libopenal1 libogg0 libvorbis0a libvorbisfile3 libflac8 libflac++6 libmpg123-0 libc6 libgcc1 libphysfs1 libstdc++6 Then install the love-unstable with dpkg ~/Downloads$ dpkg -i love-unstable_0.8.0~r1028-0oneiric1_<amd64/i386>.deb Run  love-unstable on mari0  ~/mari0$ love-unstable mari0_1.3.love Enjoy what is possibly the coolest crossover game of all time.

Ubuntu Games: Bitsnake

    Who doesn't love a classic game of snake?  No one?  That is what I thought!     Bitsnake is just that a classic snake game written in Python.  A snake game written in a language named after a snake you say!  Well actually it's named after the British comedy troupe, but still...     You know snake right.  They game where your goal is to eat "apples" and try not to run into the wall or yourself.  Simple, classic big fat time killer. Get it!     You can download the game here .  Just unrar and play.  Here is a quick how to for you terminal junkies... First make sure that you have the correct dependencies. $ sudo apt-get install python-pygame Download the rar file. $ wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/bitsnake/files/bitSnake_source.rar Extract that rar. $ unrar x bitSnake_source.rar Play the game!  $ cd bitSnake/ && python bitSnake.py