Skip to main content

Arch Linux: a Ubuntu user's perspective

Installation

    Installing +Arch Linux was honestly a little more work than I was expecting.  I for some reason was under the impression that Arch LInux was a works out of the box sort of distro.  I was sorely mistaken, installing Arch was a lot more like fighting balrogs; trying to get Gentoo working.  Not the simple insert cd come back in 25 minutes and your done kind of install that I am accustomed to with +Ubuntu.

    I had to try and try again to get grub2 to actually work, mostly because I wasn't very good at following directions... Though in my defense I believe that the installation guide for Arch could use a little clarifying.

    I was somewhat suprised that after initial install Arch Linux has no network up by default.  So after getting that worked out it was just a matter of installing the correct drivers for my wireless card, which I have to do in Ubuntu actually though the process much simpler, still not to big of a hassel.

    After installing the desktop environment of my choice (xfce) and a desktop manager (gdm) I was a little suprised again that installing Xfce did not also install Xorg...  I mean you would think that if you can't use Xfce without Xorg it would be a dependancy and the package manager would handle that for you..  oh well...  After all this installing packages has been fairly straightforward and pacman seems to be a pretty decent package manager causing only minimal headaches.

  The "Rolling Upgrade"

    The one thing I do like about Arch that is missing from most other operating systems is this idea of the rolling upgrade. On Arch you are always just a 'pacman -Syu' away from the latest and greatest the open source software community has to offer. No need to worrry about upgrading to the latest release because you are always on the latest release.

  Final Thoughts

    Arch Linux is definately not for beginners, mostly just because of the relatively complex installation process and occasionally upgrading the system would break something like wireless.  All and all I'd say I am happy with Arch Linux, though I am not willing to give up my first GNU/Linux love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunch time in The Dirty!

    The Dalles has quite a few restaurants relative to it's size.  Some are great some are down right bad.       These are my five favorite places to eat lunch in The Dalles in no particular order.  Some are old favorites and others are relatively new establishments.  All serve delicious food and drink. Montira's Thai     Montira's is the only thai place in town.  But that lack of competition doesn't keep them from delivering a quality product.  Other restaurants of the Asian  variety  have them beat as far as portion size and price go but they  serve  a quality product consistently.  I can't say that about many other places in town.     Montira's serves really great food for a decent price.  Just be warned if you ask for extra-spicy you will feel it all the next day...  But its worth it if you really like spicy. Spooky's     Spooky's is one of t...

Playing Mari0 on Ubuntu 12.04

If you are looking to play Mari0 on Ubuntu you may have run into a bit of a roadblock because love 0.8.0 is not yet available for Precise from the love-unstable ppa.  No need to worry though the .deb file for Oneiric will work just fine.   First download the .deb from launchpad, either amd64 or i386 .  Then install dependencies by running. $ sudo apt-get install libdevil1c2 libmng1 libfreetype6 libgl1-mesa-glx liblua5.1-0 libphysfs-1.0-0 libsdl1.2debian libopenal1 libogg0 libvorbis0a libvorbisfile3 libflac8 libflac++6 libmpg123-0 libc6 libgcc1 libphysfs1 libstdc++6 Then install the love-unstable with dpkg ~/Downloads$ dpkg -i love-unstable_0.8.0~r1028-0oneiric1_<amd64/i386>.deb Run  love-unstable on mari0  ~/mari0$ love-unstable mari0_1.3.love Enjoy what is possibly the coolest crossover game of all time.

Ubuntu Games: Bitsnake

    Who doesn't love a classic game of snake?  No one?  That is what I thought!     Bitsnake is just that a classic snake game written in Python.  A snake game written in a language named after a snake you say!  Well actually it's named after the British comedy troupe, but still...     You know snake right.  They game where your goal is to eat "apples" and try not to run into the wall or yourself.  Simple, classic big fat time killer. Get it!     You can download the game here .  Just unrar and play.  Here is a quick how to for you terminal junkies... First make sure that you have the correct dependencies. $ sudo apt-get install python-pygame Download the rar file. $ wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/bitsnake/files/bitSnake_source.rar Extract that rar. $ unrar x bitSnake_source.rar Play the game!  $ cd bitSnake/ && python bitSnake.py