Skip to main content

Great Novels: Ender's Game

Ender's Game follows Andrew "Ender" Wiggin and his two siblings Peter and Valentine, though you may be able to guess from the title primarily Ender. Ender is a child prodigy in warfare who is brought to an academy for children to learn to be soldiers.  Its 
required reading in a lot o of schools but I don't recall it being in mThis is partine, though i can't say i would u have read it if it were.
Ender's Game is set in a future in which a united earth has narrowly repelled an invasion by an insect like race of aliens known as the buggers.  Earth has spent the last several years preparing for the next invasion.

Ender is put through a series of lessons/tests by his "teachers" all in the form of games.  Starting with video games and progressing to a zero gravity competition between different "armies" of children.  Ender is quickly made a commander one of these armies pitting him against much older kids.  Things are unfairly stacked against Ender by his teachers all to make him a better commander.  Ender eventually is sent to a command school where he plays through a series of simulated battles.  The rest would probably be considered to much of a spoiler...

Ender's Game helps give us an idea of what happens when war and killing is filtered through the guise of a video game.  The more like a video game war becomes the easier it is to distance yourself from the decisions that are made.  This is becoming more and more of a reality but this book makes me have to ask if it should be.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Goals

  Recently I came to the conclusion that I should write more often.  That is, I believe, I should start to consider myself a "writer."  That's the main reason there's been a bit of an increase in publishing to this blog (going from zero over the past few years to a couple times a month is a pretty huge jump).     I, like most humans, have thoughts and opinions which are a product of the times and places in which I live.  I figure I can do my part for future historians and write a few of them down.  I also just might have enough creative juice to pump out a story or two. This blog   I'd like to post to this blog at least once a week from now on, or at a minimum once a month.  Really, anything at all would be better than what I've been doing.  I'll mainly write about my life, family, interests, and opinions about, current events and local and state politics (I'll try to steer clear of national issues for my own sanity).  Pretty much whatever I fee

Lunch time in The Dirty!

    The Dalles has quite a few restaurants relative to it's size.  Some are great some are down right bad.       These are my five favorite places to eat lunch in The Dalles in no particular order.  Some are old favorites and others are relatively new establishments.  All serve delicious food and drink. Montira's Thai     Montira's is the only thai place in town.  But that lack of competition doesn't keep them from delivering a quality product.  Other restaurants of the Asian  variety  have them beat as far as portion size and price go but they  serve  a quality product consistently.  I can't say that about many other places in town.     Montira's serves really great food for a decent price.  Just be warned if you ask for extra-spicy you will feel it all the next day...  But its worth it if you really like spicy. Spooky's     Spooky's is one of those places that this town wouldn't be the same without.  Its almost the default place to meet peo

Great Novels: Dune

    I recently finished reading Dune  as part of my quest to read the greatest novels of the 20th century .  I have always heard that Dune  was one of the greatest sci-fi novels ever written and it did not disappoint me in the least.     Dune follows the story of Paul Atreides, a young man  avenging his father after being defeated by a rival noble.  Paul is kind of messianic character, fulfilling prophecies, leading people, all that messiah stuff.     The world of Dune is quite intricate with many different factions involved in the conflict over the planet.  The universe that Herbert has created is very complex and you feel that you are only seeing the tip of the iceberg of what there is to find in his world.  Which I suppose is the reason for all of the books, games and other stuff that has spun off of this one book.   There are several other books in the Dune series and the first one has left me wanting more, actually ends feeling a little unfinished to me, so I'm sure I