Skip to main content

Cherry Festival 10k photo tour.

The Dalles Cherry Festival is coming up (Saturday April 22nd this year).  Despite the cheesiness and the crowds, this is actually one of my favorite "local holidays."  The 10k run is one of my new favorite traditions.  The run has been around longer than I have and goes right through where I grew up.  It's about time I started to "enjoy" it.

"""April 22nd – 3k and 5k are out and back, with a nice uphill at the start. The 10k does a LOOP, with rolling uphill the first half, then enjoy the nice 9+ miles of downhill to the finish.  Paved, scenic, orchard country roads. Awards to the top 3 in each age division, all runs. Great random prize drawings! Proceeds will benefit TDHS Cross Country Teams. Registration forms available at The Dalles Chamber office."""
If you're following along at home and can convert customary to metric in your head a run with 9+ miles of downhill is a comically long 10k.  Despite the obvious typo this is actually a really nice run, especially this time of the year when the grass is green and the cherry blossoms are in full bloom.  In a few weeks the hills will be brown and the blossoms will be a distant memory.  This is one of those rare years where the Cherry Festival is actually going on the same time as the blossoms are in bloom so enjoy it.

Despite the long history and the beauty involved with this route there is almost no information to be found about it online.  I couldn't even find any Strava segments, which is a real shame because Strava segments make everything more fun.  I've created one for the 10k route and several smaller sections.  With the Strava segment we can now race each other year round.  ;) 

Here's your sign




The official race starts at 8:00 with registration starting at the Dry Hollow School field an hour earlier.  All the runs start at the fork of Three Mile and Dry Hollow.  The 3k takes a right and goes up Dry Hollow and back.  The 5k and the 10k both climb up Three Mile Rd.


First climb

Both the 5k and the 10k route start off climbing up Three Mile Road.  The elevations stops climbing right around where the turnaround is for the 5k route.  To stay on the 10k route you simply keeping making right turns at every major intersection past this point. 

What used to be an orchard.
Somewhere near the 5k turnaround

Second climb

After a nice little downhill ending just past that one farm from Curious George you start off climbing again.  You can get a quick peek at Three Mile Creek here.  Probably not recommended for your optimal time.




Take peek at Three Mile Creek.
Pleasant Ridge
Turn right at the stop sign to Dry Hollow Rd to stay on the route.

Looking at Three Mile Canyon from Dry Hollow Rd

Rolling hills

After the second main climb there are a few more ups and downs.  I for one am done thinking about hills at this point, but there they are.



Take a peek at Mt. Adams's peak

Keep right here to stay on the route

Dry Hollow Creek currently not dry.



It's all downhill from here

Then comes the fabled 9+ miles of downhill.  There might be some way to continue going downhill for 9 miles from here but not to the end of the 10k.


More road and more orchards.

First 10k of 2017 done.

Get out there and move me lower on the leaderboards.
See more photos from this route.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ubuntu games?

    One of the things I have been doing very little of for the last several years is PC gaming.  This is probably mostly due to a complete lack of a Windows machine in my life.  Plus with all of the great games available for Android my needs as a casual gamer are more than met.     However, this years humble bundled has reignited my interest in PC gaming.  I got it and installed a couple of the games on my Ubuntu machine.  So far they are a lot of fun especially VVVVVV .  This got me asking "what else can I play on Ubuntu?"  Turns out there is a plethora of free open source games, some awesome, some not so much.  Many are available from the   Ubuntu Software Center and many you have to hunt down around the web.     One thing that keeps many Windows users from Ubuntu (or any Linux OS for that matter) is a supposed lack of games.  This is simply not the case.  While yes many of the commercial PC games are only available for Windows or at best OS X, there are many free

Writing Goals

  Recently I came to the conclusion that I should write more often.  That is, I believe, I should start to consider myself a "writer."  That's the main reason there's been a bit of an increase in publishing to this blog (going from zero over the past few years to a couple times a month is a pretty huge jump).     I, like most humans, have thoughts and opinions which are a product of the times and places in which I live.  I figure I can do my part for future historians and write a few of them down.  I also just might have enough creative juice to pump out a story or two. This blog   I'd like to post to this blog at least once a week from now on, or at a minimum once a month.  Really, anything at all would be better than what I've been doing.  I'll mainly write about my life, family, interests, and opinions about, current events and local and state politics (I'll try to steer clear of national issues for my own sanity).  Pretty much whatever I fee

Playing Mari0 on Ubuntu 12.04

If you are looking to play Mari0 on Ubuntu you may have run into a bit of a roadblock because love 0.8.0 is not yet available for Precise from the love-unstable ppa.  No need to worry though the .deb file for Oneiric will work just fine.   First download the .deb from launchpad, either amd64 or i386 .  Then install dependencies by running. $ sudo apt-get install libdevil1c2 libmng1 libfreetype6 libgl1-mesa-glx liblua5.1-0 libphysfs-1.0-0 libsdl1.2debian libopenal1 libogg0 libvorbis0a libvorbisfile3 libflac8 libflac++6 libmpg123-0 libc6 libgcc1 libphysfs1 libstdc++6 Then install the love-unstable with dpkg ~/Downloads$ dpkg -i love-unstable_0.8.0~r1028-0oneiric1_<amd64/i386>.deb Run  love-unstable on mari0  ~/mari0$ love-unstable mari0_1.3.love Enjoy what is possibly the coolest crossover game of all time.