Skip to main content

Things that make me nervous about our trip to Tikal

Tikal_Guatemala_Templo_I_2008.jpgThis Friday Amanda and I celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary.  It took us a bit but we eventually decided we should go on a trip and to somewhere neither of us had been before.  I've always wanted to see ancient ruins and love Starwars.  Enter Tikal, one of the most famous Mayan sites and home to the rebel alliance's Yavin 4 base.


I don't travel much.  I don't like traveling much.  I don't even like thinking about travelling.  It’s not that I don't want to see exotic places and do interesting things around the world.  I just don't want to deal with any of the headache of getting there or any of the less than desireable things I might encounter along the way.


I'm pretty good at negative visualization, what some people probably call worrying.  I’ll call it being prepared, though it still feels an awful lot like worrying.  I guess it's how I deal with the unknown.  I can't predict the future but I can take what I know and think up the worst possible scenario.  Here's my list of things that are making me a bit nervous about our, I'm sure going to be really great, impending trip to Tikal.

Flying

I have a secret (I suppose now public) mild fear of flying.  I don't really have a problem once we are in the air.  I get that there is real actual physics holding us up.  I just don’t like the sensation of taking off or the several moments of negative visualization of all of the real actual physics that could take the plane down to the ground.  Its thoughts about these same physics that also make landing less than enjoyable for me.


We have four take offs and landing in the trip getting to Flores (the nearest airport to Tikal) alone.


People fly everyday, even in less industrialized countries, and most of the time nothing terrible happens.  The odds are good, at least.

Typhoid

Yeah sure I took some pills willfully giving myself this disease to prepare my body ahead of time.  But those pills are only 80% effective.  Either way I need to be careful to eat hot food and avoid the tap water.  Good news is if I get typhoid I should be in the states by the time I start feeling it.  Apparently it’s not that bad with treatment.  I still don’t want.  I might be quarantined on an island somewhere.

Being struck by lightning

flash-2515710_960_720.jpgThe forecast in both Flores and Tikal call for thunderstorms literally our entire trip.  I’m not terribly excited about climbing to the top of temples towering over rainforest canopy when there are lightning strikes all around.

Violence


In the years after Guatemala’s civil war it was pretty common for armed men to attack busses and other and other seemingly random acts of violence.  While by all accounts today Guatemala is a much safer place, especially around Flores and Tikal, it is still not the safest place in the world.  Guatemala City is among the 50 most dangerous cities in the world (although Baltimore and St. Louis have higher homicide rates than Guatemala City).  Most of this violence revolves around the drug trade.  So, as long as you avoid the city and the Mexican border, which we are, you should be safe.


Despite all these unknowns I am very excited to visit a place so different from mine.  All recent information I can find about travelling to Guatemala suggests that it is a beautiful country and is not terribly dangerous.  Also, I spend the vast majority of my time within walking distance of the very spot I was born.
There is a big world out there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunch time in The Dirty!

    The Dalles has quite a few restaurants relative to it's size.  Some are great some are down right bad.       These are my five favorite places to eat lunch in The Dalles in no particular order.  Some are old favorites and others are relatively new establishments.  All serve delicious food and drink. Montira's Thai     Montira's is the only thai place in town.  But that lack of competition doesn't keep them from delivering a quality product.  Other restaurants of the Asian  variety  have them beat as far as portion size and price go but they  serve  a quality product consistently.  I can't say that about many other places in town.     Montira's serves really great food for a decent price.  Just be warned if you ask for extra-spicy you will feel it all the next day...  But its worth it if you really like spicy. Spooky's     Spooky's is one of t...

Playing Mari0 on Ubuntu 12.04

If you are looking to play Mari0 on Ubuntu you may have run into a bit of a roadblock because love 0.8.0 is not yet available for Precise from the love-unstable ppa.  No need to worry though the .deb file for Oneiric will work just fine.   First download the .deb from launchpad, either amd64 or i386 .  Then install dependencies by running. $ sudo apt-get install libdevil1c2 libmng1 libfreetype6 libgl1-mesa-glx liblua5.1-0 libphysfs-1.0-0 libsdl1.2debian libopenal1 libogg0 libvorbis0a libvorbisfile3 libflac8 libflac++6 libmpg123-0 libc6 libgcc1 libphysfs1 libstdc++6 Then install the love-unstable with dpkg ~/Downloads$ dpkg -i love-unstable_0.8.0~r1028-0oneiric1_<amd64/i386>.deb Run  love-unstable on mari0  ~/mari0$ love-unstable mari0_1.3.love Enjoy what is possibly the coolest crossover game of all time.

Ubuntu Games: Bitsnake

    Who doesn't love a classic game of snake?  No one?  That is what I thought!     Bitsnake is just that a classic snake game written in Python.  A snake game written in a language named after a snake you say!  Well actually it's named after the British comedy troupe, but still...     You know snake right.  They game where your goal is to eat "apples" and try not to run into the wall or yourself.  Simple, classic big fat time killer. Get it!     You can download the game here .  Just unrar and play.  Here is a quick how to for you terminal junkies... First make sure that you have the correct dependencies. $ sudo apt-get install python-pygame Download the rar file. $ wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/bitsnake/files/bitSnake_source.rar Extract that rar. $ unrar x bitSnake_source.rar Play the game!  $ cd bitSnake/ && python bitSnake.py