Skip to main content

2018 reading list

  Near the end of 2017 I did something I hope becomes an end of year tradition.  I planned out all the books I’m going to read in the next year.  I read some great books last year and I hope that having a plan will make this year even better.


Why would I plan out a year of reading?

Last year I was able to read a lot more than I have before.  However, there were still long periods throughout the year in which I wasn't reading anything, and some of what I read was just whatever was in front of me, not what I really wanted to read.  Like most things in life, I suspect, having a plan will help align what I do read with my goals.  There are several subjects I’m interested in, and didn’t read about.  There are authors I want to read more of, but haven’t made time to.  And modern fiction?  What is that?  (I  think I read one new book last year)

I made a realization a few months back.  My pile of books I want to read is much taller than the stack of books I have read in my life.  Continuous learning (including learning by gaining a different perspective through fiction) is a big priority in life.  Reading is a huge part of that.  Combine this with constant reminder that life is short, it goes by faster and faster every year and it's time, there are only so many hours in a day and ... you get the idea.  

A plan will help make that big pile of books in the want to read pile seem much more manageable and less daunting.


What do I have on my list?

As I mentioned I want to better align what I read with my interests.  As such I’m reading mostly non-fiction with a mix of classic novels and newer fiction.


In the nonfiction side of things I went pretty heavy with newer books on christian living and theology.  This includes several books by Francis Chan, one by John Piper, who I’ve been meaning to read for a long while, as well as Radical by David Platt.  I also have quite a few historic writings from ancient times.  The Republic, Meditations and histories by Thucydides and Herodotus.  This much ancient writing might be a little too aggressive but we'll see.  

I’ve added a few memoirs involving subjects I’m interested in.  Running, writing and hiking.  As well as a few books on parenting and diet.  

Sticking to this list I hope to actually be using my time reading to get some real actual learning done on some subjects I really actually want to know more about.

In the fiction realm I have a mix of novels from some classic writers, some I’ve read before and some I haven’t, as well as some well reviewed novels from last year.  I’ve also mixed in some sci-fi and fantasy just for fun.

See my full list on Goodreads.

Do you ever plan out what you are going to read in the future?


Have you read any of the books I’m planning to this year?  What did you think?

Have books that probably should be on my list?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunch time in The Dirty!

    The Dalles has quite a few restaurants relative to it's size.  Some are great some are down right bad.       These are my five favorite places to eat lunch in The Dalles in no particular order.  Some are old favorites and others are relatively new establishments.  All serve delicious food and drink. Montira's Thai     Montira's is the only thai place in town.  But that lack of competition doesn't keep them from delivering a quality product.  Other restaurants of the Asian  variety  have them beat as far as portion size and price go but they  serve  a quality product consistently.  I can't say that about many other places in town.     Montira's serves really great food for a decent price.  Just be warned if you ask for extra-spicy you will feel it all the next day...  But its worth it if you really like spicy. Spooky's     Spooky's is one of t...

Playing Mari0 on Ubuntu 12.04

If you are looking to play Mari0 on Ubuntu you may have run into a bit of a roadblock because love 0.8.0 is not yet available for Precise from the love-unstable ppa.  No need to worry though the .deb file for Oneiric will work just fine.   First download the .deb from launchpad, either amd64 or i386 .  Then install dependencies by running. $ sudo apt-get install libdevil1c2 libmng1 libfreetype6 libgl1-mesa-glx liblua5.1-0 libphysfs-1.0-0 libsdl1.2debian libopenal1 libogg0 libvorbis0a libvorbisfile3 libflac8 libflac++6 libmpg123-0 libc6 libgcc1 libphysfs1 libstdc++6 Then install the love-unstable with dpkg ~/Downloads$ dpkg -i love-unstable_0.8.0~r1028-0oneiric1_<amd64/i386>.deb Run  love-unstable on mari0  ~/mari0$ love-unstable mari0_1.3.love Enjoy what is possibly the coolest crossover game of all time.

Ubuntu Games: Bitsnake

    Who doesn't love a classic game of snake?  No one?  That is what I thought!     Bitsnake is just that a classic snake game written in Python.  A snake game written in a language named after a snake you say!  Well actually it's named after the British comedy troupe, but still...     You know snake right.  They game where your goal is to eat "apples" and try not to run into the wall or yourself.  Simple, classic big fat time killer. Get it!     You can download the game here .  Just unrar and play.  Here is a quick how to for you terminal junkies... First make sure that you have the correct dependencies. $ sudo apt-get install python-pygame Download the rar file. $ wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/bitsnake/files/bitSnake_source.rar Extract that rar. $ unrar x bitSnake_source.rar Play the game!  $ cd bitSnake/ && python bitSnake.py