Skip to main content

Book Review: Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now

I recently (actually weeks or months ago now) finished reading "Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now" by Jaron Lanier.  This short book covers what is quite possibly one of the biggest issues of the current era, the toxic influence of "social media" on individuals and culture at large.

The book raises issues about more than purely "social media" sites like Facebook and Twitter, attacking the business model that many web services are operated on.  I can't bring myself to fully agree with every point raised by Lanier. 

Ten chapters present ten different arguments for why you should opt out of most of interactions happening on the internet today.  However, I believe they can be summarized in two key points.

Social media is bad for your health.  Your emotional, social, psychological and spiritual well being are degraded by the use of social media.  These sites tend to reduce our ability to have empathy, increase irritability and all around turn us into jerks.  All this adds to stress, which is notoriously bad for our physical health as well.

Fake users and "artificial intelligence" (which the author points are is just a term we throw around for a particularly smartly written software) have some impact on the very idea of what it means to be a person.  Additionally, advertising has the nearly explicit goal of behavior modification.  Couple this with individually curated "feeds" and it is a recipe for taking away mental free will. 

Lanier also makes the argument that current tech culture is creating a new religion of sorts where the singularity is the ultimate goal.

Social media is bad for our communities.  Global and local communities   Fake news accounts and other bad actors intentionally manipulate people into believing untrue things (alternative facts).  When Truth is hard to discover underneath a thick layer of uncertainty and fiction how can society as a whole make clear decisions?  How can democracy continue to make progress with misinformation being spread with the assistance of mass behavior/thought manipulation tools?

In Lanier's argument that's what social media platforms and indeed all advertising are, is mass behavior manipulation tools.  Part of the argument against these platforms is not that they are bad on their own.  Sharing and connecting with friends and family as well as the global community are a good thing.  Much of the argument for deleting your accounts now is that the business model these platforms are built on needs to be better.  For example the users on Facebook create the content which other users come to see, building the platform and making it attractive to advertisers.  However, the average Facebook user creating this content does not get compensated for it in any way other than having the ability to participate on this platform.

I'd recommend this book to anyone on the fence about whether or not continuing to participate in social media sites is good for them personally or for society as a whole.  It is an easy read and intriguing.  Lanier has many years of experience in the tech industry and comes from a fairly unique perspective.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lunch time in The Dirty!

    The Dalles has quite a few restaurants relative to it's size.  Some are great some are down right bad.       These are my five favorite places to eat lunch in The Dalles in no particular order.  Some are old favorites and others are relatively new establishments.  All serve delicious food and drink. Montira's Thai     Montira's is the only thai place in town.  But that lack of competition doesn't keep them from delivering a quality product.  Other restaurants of the Asian  variety  have them beat as far as portion size and price go but they  serve  a quality product consistently.  I can't say that about many other places in town.     Montira's serves really great food for a decent price.  Just be warned if you ask for extra-spicy you will feel it all the next day...  But its worth it if you really like spicy. Spooky's     Spooky's is one of t...

Ubuntu Games: Bitsnake

    Who doesn't love a classic game of snake?  No one?  That is what I thought!     Bitsnake is just that a classic snake game written in Python.  A snake game written in a language named after a snake you say!  Well actually it's named after the British comedy troupe, but still...     You know snake right.  They game where your goal is to eat "apples" and try not to run into the wall or yourself.  Simple, classic big fat time killer. Get it!     You can download the game here .  Just unrar and play.  Here is a quick how to for you terminal junkies... First make sure that you have the correct dependencies. $ sudo apt-get install python-pygame Download the rar file. $ wget https://sourceforge.net/projects/bitsnake/files/bitSnake_source.rar Extract that rar. $ unrar x bitSnake_source.rar Play the game!  $ cd bitSnake/ && python bitSnake.py

Writing Goals

  Recently I came to the conclusion that I should write more often.  That is, I believe, I should start to consider myself a "writer."  That's the main reason there's been a bit of an increase in publishing to this blog (going from zero over the past few years to a couple times a month is a pretty huge jump).     I, like most humans, have thoughts and opinions which are a product of the times and places in which I live.  I figure I can do my part for future historians and write a few of them down.  I also just might have enough creative juice to pump out a story or two. This blog   I'd like to post to this blog at least once a week from now on, or at a minimum once a month.  Really, anything at all would be better than what I've been doing.  I'll mainly write about my life, family, interests, and opinions about, current events and local and state politics (I'll try to steer clear of national issues for my own sanity).  Pretty...