Skip to main content

About goals and failing them.

Earlier this year I made a few goals for myself.  One was to run.  A lot.  The other was to write, a lot more than I have.  Sorry to say I haven’t kept either of these really well.  Sometimes life get in the way, sometimes things don’t work out the way you hoped, sometimes you set the wrong goals and sometimes you just plain fail.  I’d like to say life got in the way and things just happened, but I have to be honest.


Running


Major failures in the running department.  As you can see from the graph below, things were going pretty well for a time.  Right on track.  However, around the 30k per week mark I started to have nagging shin splints.  Not so bad that I was ready to give up running (the proper cure for shin splints) but bad enough I knew I should back off.  So I did, only to later end up with shin splints before during and after every running session.  It was finally bad enough for me to realize I needed to lay it off completely, like you are supposed to.  This resulted in about one 5k run per week.  Now I don’t have a problem with shin splints but I do have this random knee pain which makes me question lacing up my shoes.  That knee pain is still a problem.  Considering it is in only one of two knees and only really flairs up after a run, I’m fairly certain it is a legitimate injury of some sort and needs rest.

Displaying Photo note

Needless to say that my running goals are all on hold for the time being.  My pride is not worth a permanently damaged left knee.  I also won’t be doing a triathlon or any other races this summer for that matter for the vary same reason.   But did I have the right goals in the first place?  

A better goal for a non-competitive “athlete” like myself would be to simply participate in some events and to maintain a healthy lifestyle while doing so.  Pushing yourself to the point of injury is no smart goal, even if it is S.M.A.R.T.  Sure I ran a lot this spring, but I also let myself eat junk and gain weight.  Mix those together and you have a formula for injury.

Writing

If you’ve been following along with blog you'd notice I haven’t posted to this thing in several months (not counting last week' post).  That’s below my minimum goal of one blog post a month and way below my goal of one a week.   

While my excuse here is that I really don’t have time to commit to writing, the truth is that no one has time to commit to writing.  As many people say you have to make time for writing or for any of your other goals for that matter.

I did write a few short stories, rough drafts at least. Writing fiction sounds like a lot of fun to me if not a little challenging.  The actual process of creating characters, plots, scenes and putting words down on paper is a lot of work.  Like most things though, I understand this takes time to learn and to feel comfortable and gain confidence.

I've read quite a few books (which I plan to write about) in the last few months, more than I normally would in a few month span.  I've also been journaling, which I can't say I've ever done with any regularity.  So this goal hasn't been a complete wash.  However, my main, most publicly visible goal of posting to this blog has been an utter failure.

All in all I’ve failed at the goals I set out.  However, I’ve made progress on writing and had some PRs with running.  That’s the beauty of making goals I suppose.  They still add value even if you don’t (or can’t) reach them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Goals

  Recently I came to the conclusion that I should write more often.  That is, I believe, I should start to consider myself a "writer."  That's the main reason there's been a bit of an increase in publishing to this blog (going from zero over the past few years to a couple times a month is a pretty huge jump).     I, like most humans, have thoughts and opinions which are a product of the times and places in which I live.  I figure I can do my part for future historians and write a few of them down.  I also just might have enough creative juice to pump out a story or two. This blog   I'd like to post to this blog at least once a week from now on, or at a minimum once a month.  Really, anything at all would be better than what I've been doing.  I'll mainly write about my life, family, interests, and opinions about, current events and local and state politics (I'll try to steer clear of national issues for my own sanity).  Pretty much whatever I fee

Lunch time in The Dirty!

    The Dalles has quite a few restaurants relative to it's size.  Some are great some are down right bad.       These are my five favorite places to eat lunch in The Dalles in no particular order.  Some are old favorites and others are relatively new establishments.  All serve delicious food and drink. Montira's Thai     Montira's is the only thai place in town.  But that lack of competition doesn't keep them from delivering a quality product.  Other restaurants of the Asian  variety  have them beat as far as portion size and price go but they  serve  a quality product consistently.  I can't say that about many other places in town.     Montira's serves really great food for a decent price.  Just be warned if you ask for extra-spicy you will feel it all the next day...  But its worth it if you really like spicy. Spooky's     Spooky's is one of those places that this town wouldn't be the same without.  Its almost the default place to meet peo

Going to Mexico.

    Next week I'll be flying down to LA with my wife and daughter and hopping on a ship down to Mexico. We'll be on a Disney cruise ship for a week doing whatever the heck we feel like.  I'm planning on taking lots of pictures and writing about our trip, mostly just to be able to look back and remember the trip better.     This is probably the biggest vacation either my wife or I have taken and it is the first time our little daughter will be out of the country.  I've been on lots of charter boats for deep sea fishing but never a big ship like this.  I really like being on the ocean and we love Disney in my house so this should be the best freaking trip ever!...  I have high expectations. Disney + Ocean + Mexico +  Family = Happy awesome fun time!